Yo . . .
Buy this book.
Read this book.
Underline the heck out of this book.
• Really great, counter-cultural relationship advice (applicable for all settings) from a professional counselor with high-level expertise.
• Really great perspective for how to deal with the failure of leaders in a way that’s deeply restorative and Gospel-informed.
• Really excellent, thorough theological work on how punishment/retribution/manipulation/insecurity deserves no place in our lives in how we treat one another or how we seek to respect God properly under the New Covenant.
Every disciple 100% needs this kind of perspective-shift.
> See on Amazon.com!
(No I am not getting paid to advertise…haha.)
Recently I finished reading Vineyard pastor Putty Putman’s new book, “Live Like Jesus.” It was
It will be hard to put into words how much I loved it. I will most likely be re-reading it in the not so distant future, just to enjoy it further.
God has been teaching me so many of the concepts in this book for the last ten years of my life through many different books, teachings, and resources. I often say I have personally gone through a drastic reformation. Throughout this time though I have never found one single book that encapsulates all the main themes of what God has been showing me. Live Like Jesus surprised me by succinctly piecing together these key ideas — each of which I believe have potential to bring widespread change to the way Christianity is expressed in this stage of history.
I almost wish the book was titled something like Reformational Truths That Will Blow Your Mind. I think that would do much more justice to the contents of its pages!
This book explains, among other things,
- why sinning does not make someone a “sinner”
- why born-again saints with a new nature are able to sin and contradict their true nature
- why being forgiven and regenerated are not the same thing
- how being conscious of our union with God enables us to experience the same supernatural power that Jesus walked in
- how the Gospel impacts not just individuals, but all of society and creation
- how we effectively handle suffering in our lives with a Christ-like mindset
Over and over again Putty dissects and assesses the most fundamental pieces of our understanding of the Gospel and gracefully brings new light on what we are looking at. The readers is left at the end feeling incredibly empowered and enlightened. I personally wish I had a book like this ten years ago to save me some of the trouble of sorting my doctrine out over all the time it has taken me!
Before reading this book I already knew that Putty was one of my favorite living communicators and thought-leaders. This book only re-enforced that for me. It is a resource I will definitely be recommending and giving away far and wide, as I am confident the truths inside of it can apply to anyone who is seeking to walk out their faith in a healthier way.